Thursday, May 29, 2014

I'm not a regular mom, I'm a cool mom

"Some parents believe they have the magic power to look their daughter in the eye and the truth will come spilling out. Maybe. If you're really good, your daughter may crumble under the stern, unflinching parental lie detector. But a good liar can pass this test easily. A good liar is cool and collected and continues to hold her ground no matter what." 

This quote from Queen Bees & Wannabes follows a template given in They say, I say. It falls under a template for making concessions while still standing your ground. This template is used when there are other arguments but you believe that yours is the best solution.  Rosalind Wiseman acknowledges that some daughters will tell the truth but usually they can easily get away with lying. By making this claim, Wiseman is trying to persuade the reader that her argument is correct and should be followed in this type of situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment